To be honest: This post may contain affiliate links! If you buy something through one of my links, there will be absolutely no extra cost to you, but I do receive a small commision. It helps keep the lights on! No pressure. Thanks for understanding!
Zucchini fritters are one of my favourite things to make since cutting out bread through the low-carb lifestyle.
They are also super easy and even fun to make. Make up a batch and use them in various meals and you won’t miss the bread!
When I make zucchini fritters, I prefer to use chickpea flour (also know as garbanzo bean flour) as it add a great savory flavor without adding a lot of carbs. You are welcome to use any flour of your choice. I always stick to low-carb/gluten-free.
Feel free to experiment and add other vegetables such as onion, carrots, sweet potato and season as you like.
One thing I definitely don’t advise is using coconut flour! I absolutely love coconut but in this recipe the flavor is strange and overpowering. It also adds an unpleasant gritty texture.
I usually grate the zucchini but I have tried spiralized and it works perfectly too. The consistency seems to be a bit different every time I make these, depending on the moisture content of the zucchini. This is easy to fix by adding more flour or a little water.
See pictures for an indication of the ideal mixture.
- 2.5 cups grated or spiralized zucchini
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup chickpea flour
- butter (for frying)
- Place zucchini in a piece of cheesecloth.
- Squeeze out all the moisture that you can get out of it.
- Leave to sit in the cloth for 2-3 hours if you have the time.
- Place drained zucchini in a large bowl.
- Add egg and chickpea flour and stir with a fork.
- Once all combined, check the consistency. The zucchini should be well coated but not dry.
- If there isn’t enough coating, add more flour. If it is too dry, add a dash of water.
- Season the way you enjoy.
- Heat butter in a pan on medium heat.
- Spoon out batter into the pan, in desired size of the fritters.
- Don’t flip to quickly or they will fall apart. Make sure it has cooked properly before cooking the other side.
- Serve as you wish!
Use in place of toast, top with salmon and avocado